Spring brings new opportunities to gain a fresh start in life and in your home. Whether you have a little or a lot of clutter, the invasion of one’s space with excess junk can make you feel restricted or even worse – trapped.
In this vein we’ve compiled the following tips to help you minimize your life:
1. Everyone has a little bit of clutter. Removing the larger pieces first will give you room to access the smaller items and reduces the volume of objects taking up your space. Start big and work your way down.
2. Dispose of something every time you purchase something new. This eliminates the rebuilding of clutter and helps you manage your purchases. If you want to be even more efficient, only purchase items you are replacing.
3. Pare down your rooms, closets and cupboards. Hidden spots in your home are more likely to become a safe heaven for junk. The less you use it the more likely junk is building in it. Everyone has that junk drawer/room – here’s your chance to clear it out.
4. Is your closet filled to the brim? Try simplifying your closet with an initial purge. This includes wardrobe pieces you know you will never wear again. From there work your way down to pieces you might wear. If you haven’t worn the item in 6 months there’s a good chance it should be donated.
5. Share the wealth! Have your family and friends over and offer things to give away. There might be furniture or household items you’ve been on the fence about for a while that someone close to you might really need. Giving away non-essential pieces is a great way of shedding excess clutter and helping others.
6. Clean out that storage closet. Seems like a no brainer, but if you have a hard time letting go of items, this is a great place to store items about which you’re currently on the fence. A lot of the items in your storage closet may be items you come to realize you don’t really need.
7. If you find decluttering difficult, that’s understandable. Ask for help! Sometimes everyone needs a little support letting go. If you can’t do it alone, ask someone to make the decision for you. If heavy lifting or disposal is difficult for you call 1-800-GOT-JUNK? to remove your items for you.
8. Replace items with plants. Thinking that it’s a bit stuffy in your home? Adding plants is a great way to introduce new life into your place while removing dust-collecting clutter. Literally breath new life into your home with a house plant. Many houseplants are known to purify your air and to relieve stress. Try lavender or a majesty palm.
Aziza Farah is the digital marketing coordinator for 1-800-GOT-JUNK? and sister companies WOW 1 DAY PAINTING , You Move Me, and Shack Shine. She loves interior design, small gatherings with friends and eating breakfast for dinner. You can connect with her via LinkedIn.