Here’s your challenge for vacation season: travel light. A house full of unnecessary junk can slow you down and so can an overstuffed suitcase. Whether it’s a weekend getaway to a local vineyard or a 2 week European romp – don’t take more than a bag and a carry on. Once you go unchecked you won’t go back. Here’s how!
Before you review the essential packing lists below, know that just because you packed a carry-on doesn’t mean you’ll be allowed to take it on the plane. The overhead luggage compartments can get full fast, especially on shorter haul flights within the States. If there’s no more room you’ll be made to check-in your hard rimmed carry-on. Luckily I travel with a soft leather duffle bag, which can be squeezed into cramped spaces. I’ve run into this phenomenon multiple times and feel bad for those stunned travelers who made the effort to limit their luggage, only to be forced to check it in.
Now that you know about the duffel bag, check-out these getaway packing list. I found them on Trip Styler, a blog full of useful travel related tips.
Carry-On (Outfit Trickery) Secrets
- Bring a bag that’s nearing the airline’s maximum allowable carry-on size.
- Bring a purse, murse (man bag) or laptop bag for extra items you’ll need in-flight and store this under your seat (people who put double bags in the overhead bin on full flights are cheaters).
- If you’re packing two shirts that are similar, go with one. Edit. Edit. Edit.
- Don’t worry about wearing the same garment twice, it’s mission critical to carry-on survival and accessories will help distract from–gasp–wearing the same top as yesterday.
- Opt for a higher amount of tops over bottoms.
- Limit bulky jackets and blazers and wear these on the plane to save space in your bag. You can always take them off as soon as you board.
- Pack in general color groups. For example, I haven’t brought only blacks and whites, but rather a few color themes that will allow me to mix and match. Beyond this, have a little fun– for example, my clutch is a subdued leopard print.
- If needed, wash small garments while there (for 2-week+ trips, send garments out to be cleaned or find a laundromat). - Trip Styler
Summer Weekend Packing List (not including what you wear enroute):
Pic via http://blog.timesunion.com
- Plane-to-Pool Bag: use the same bag for packing & beach/lake tote
- 1-2 Bathing Suits (check out this season’s hottest bathers & accessories on HeatherLovesIt)
- flip flops
- cute sandals
- pants or a skirt
- tank top
- flowy top
- sweater-y shirt or cardy
- day-to-night dress
- dressier dress
- hat - Trip Styler
Andrew Sutherland is PR Manager for 1-800-GOT-JUNK? and You Move Me. 1-800-GOT-JUNK? inspired Andrew to live a lighter life and say good-bye to 1/3 of his possessions. Andrew is a mountain man in training who appreciates an awesome view, a good story and organized closets. Connect with Andrew on Google+ or LinkedIn.